Thursday, November 11, 2010

a few thoughts on modeling


I loved modeling.
It was a joyful art, part dance, part painting, part archery. I strengthened my body with exercise to become more agile and to be able to adapt to the difficult poses that often needed to be held for hours. I always did my own make-up, blending and shading and coloring my face. And freelancing, in a highly competitive career, with usually ten interviews per each job won, job hunting became for me a kind of sport. I aimed at the mark, and when I got the job, it was exhilarating. When I missed, I went back to the drawing board, questioned what went wrong and tried to do better next time.
As a model and an actress, I was a chameleon.
And as we become what we do, the hours, days and years I spent looking and acting a part, left little time for deeper contemplation. At some point, and maybe it wasn't even conscious, a part of me began to long for something more authentic.

4 comments:

  1. Great story, Anitra. I was touched by the words of your experience as a model and an actress. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Robert,

    It's nice to meet you. As you can see, you're the first person to comment on this post. This tells me that you're a percecptive person.

    Thank you for your kind words.

    Sincerely, ~ Anitra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anitra,

    Such a cute little girl on the beach in the photo at the bottom! A model already in the making...

    At what age did you start modeling professionally? Were there any models or actresses that particularly inspired you during that time?

    Curiously yours,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim,

    Hello again. I'm glad you like the photo with my mother.

    To answer your question, I took modeling classes when I was fourteen. Got a job as clerk in local dept. store when in high school. Wanted to model in their Tea Room, but they wouldn't let me. The minute I graduated from high school, I was off and running, though it wasn't all an uphill climb.

    And oh, Audrey Hepburn was an inspiration for anyone who laid eyes on her.

    Thanks for your thought provoking questions Tim. Sending good wishes your way. ~ Aneet

    ReplyDelete